Saturday 3 September 2016

Red Cabbage "Ruby Perfection"

Earlier this year I planted 12 cabbage seedlings in one of my raised beds, and these included two "Ruby Perfection" Red Cabbages.




Cabbages like this grow pretty slowly. I sowed the seeds on 13th February, and planted out the seedlings on 19th April.


Seedling planted on 19th April


The cardboard rectangle is a "brassica collar", aimed at preventing Cabbage Root Flies laying their eggs next to the plant's stem. The sticks are to deter diggers, such as cats and foxes. Both these devices evidently worked, because now, over six month later, I have harvested the first one.


I had said all along that I think of Red Cabbage as being an Autumn vegetable, and I didn't want mine to mature too soon, but now that we are in September I felt justified in cutting this one. It was enormous. I think you will understand why I only planted two!



After removing the outer leaves I was left with this:




It's a very dense cabbage, thus very heavy. It weighed 1.6ks (approx. 3.5 lbs). It's probably the best individual specimen of Red Cabbage I have ever grown, so this variety is definitely a keeper.


No prizes for guessing what will happen to this cabbage now. Some of it will be braised, and some of it will be pickled.


Here is a recipe for braised Red Cabbage, and here is a recipe for pickled Red Cabbage.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on growing such a gorgeous cabbage! That's one crop I've not tried yet - well, other than Napa cabbage and although the ones I harvested were good, I wouldn't call them great as they were a bit loose. I don't think they appreciated our super hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering thinking about long cooked red cabbage with apples and onions. Makes the kitchen smell so good. In another two months the weather will be right for it. Right now all I can say is: what a beautiful cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for growing such a perfect cabbage. It looks like you harvested it at an optimum time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped it wouldn't mature until a bit later, but I judged that leaving it risked seeing it split.

      Delete
  4. I envy you your red cabbage as ours just aren't growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have trouble growing decent Red Cabbage. Maybe the weather plays a big part?

      Delete
  5. Same here. I love red cabbage but struggle to grow it. Ruby Perfection didn't heart up for me last year. It's looking better this year but still not as good as yours. I don't think the dry spell has helped.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.